Although the real power of the Landcare movement lies in the commitment and hard work of the community, support from local, state and federal governments is crucial to ensure the viability and continued success of the movement.
Besides managing its own land estate responsibly – which includes some national parks, other conservation reserves and defence land – the Australian Government provides Landcare with national leadership and coordination in:
• Developing long-term strategies to address resource issues at all levels
• Providing funding programs and social support networks to achieve goals
• Leading and funding research and development
• Increasing public awareness, education and information exchange
• Identifying gaps in knowledge.
Currently federal and state governments determine their investment to achieve defined outcomes in each area and gauge program delivery through detailed single regional plans developed by the local community and based on the best available knowledge. Landcare and other community groups are essential to this model, providing communication links, experience, opinion, planning support and cost-effective programs for on-ground works.
Landcare Australia is funded to provide key services such as the; National Landcare Directory, biennial National Landcare Conference, Landcare in Focus magazine, Landcare Awards and Landcare Week activities and promotions.
List of Landcare Government Partners: