As one of the largest landowners in Victoria, VicTrack works in partnership with Landcare Australia to support community groups to become actively involved in the enhancement of the environmental assets of the state’s rail land.
VicTrack faces many environmental challenges and opportunities in managing its vast landholdings and makes a significant investment to minimise the environmental impacts of its operations and the effects of over a century of rail operations. In its own right VicTrack rehabilitates, protects and enhances the environments in which it operates undertaking extensive works in land decontamination and revegetation.
But with over 5,000 kilometres of rail corridors across Victoria, VicTrack understands the importance of working with Landcare Australia and the network it represents to maximise this on the ground conservation activity. With this in mind, VicTrack is a major sponsor of Landcare’s Grassroots Program, and supports an extensive program to protect and restore native grasslands in and around the railway corridors of Victoria.
Landcare Australia’s role in this important partnership is to manage the unique landcare activity and a range of associated safety issues. More particularly it involves;
- Liaising with landcare groups to find suitable projects
- Arranging entry permits for railway sites
- Arranging safety training for all landcare volunteers
- Overseeing landcare activity associated with these projects
- Managing all financial transactions, reporting and auditing
- Collating all data for reporting requirements (on a quarterly basis)
- Creating case study information to use in promotional activity