VicTrack has partnered with Landcare Australia since 2005 to provide funding to protect and enhance areas of native vegetation on railway and other land. As the owner and custodian of rail transport land across Victoria, this partnership reflects VicTrack’s commitment to making the most of its assets and supporting the best outcomes for communities.
With natural resource management expertise and a large network of volunteer groups to draw upon, Landcare Australia assists VicTrack in maximising on-ground conservation activity. Landcare Australia’s role in this important partnership is to manage the unique community-based Landcare activities and a range of associated planning and safety issues relating to working on railway land.
Since 2017, funding from VicTrack has supported numerous projects across Victoria, enabling Landcare groups to achieve significant outcomes including revegetation, weed control, habitat restoration, control of pest species, ecological burns, engagement with Traditional Owners, protection of native flora and fauna species, awareness raising and knowledge sharing with the broader community.
As many of the VicTrack funded projects are large scale, they are refunded for several years.
In 2021 VicTrack funding is supporting these projects:
- The Great Victorian Rail Trail (Upper Goulburn Landcare Network)
- The Green Line (Basalt to Bay Landcare Network)
- Bellarine Rail Trail Revegetation & Restoration (Bellarine Landcare Group)
- Stanhope-Girgarre Rail Trail Revegetation Project (Stanhope-Gigarre Landcare Group)
- Cronomby Cultural Connect (Woomelang Lascelles Landcare Group)
- Emerald Starbush Sustainability Project (Johns Hill Landcare Group)
- Hopetoun Habitat Haven (Hopetoun Landcare Group)
- Yan Yean VicTrack Reserve Project (Whittlesea and Surrounds Blackberry Action Group)
Read more about outcomes of completed and some ongoing VicTrack Landcare projects: