What is your personal information?
Personal information we collect, and how we collect it
We may collect the following types of personal information:
- your name;
- your mailing or street address, email address, telephone number and other contact details;
- your age or date of birth;
- information about your donations to us;
- any additional information that you provide to us directly through our website, including the Landcarer Platform; or
- any other information we may require to facilitate our dealings with you.
Some specific examples of the personal information we collect are set out below.
Information you have provided us with
This might be your email address, name, billing address, home address or other information that is necessary for us to provide you with a service or to enhance your customer experience with us. For example, we collect your information when you correspond with us, complete a survey, make a donation to us, volunteer with us, lodge an application in respect of a grant or sponsored project, register your organisation in the National Landcare Directory, subscribe for updates on our website, make enquiries via our website or use the Landcarer Platform.
Information automatically collected about you
This includes information that is automatically stored by cookies and other session tools (for example, your IP address). This information is used to improve your customer experience. When you use our services or website, your activities may be logged.
Information from users of the Landcarer Platform
We also collect the information of the users of our Landcarer Platform (such users being individuals, government agencies, corporate entities, Landcare groups and other entities) to provide products and services to them. This information may include information about you if you are an employee or client or otherwise have dealings with of one of these users (for example, you are a member of a Landcare group).
Information from our partners
We may obtain personal information from our trusted partners or other organisations (e.g. charities or list suppliers) where we believe they have legal grounds to share that information with us. We do our best to ensure that this is either information you have provided them with directly or that they have otherwise lawfully gathered about you.
Publicly available information
We may collect personal information from publicly available sources (e.g. articles that have been published on the internet).
Information about your job application with us
How and why we use your personal information
We may collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- to perform our functions and activities;
- to enable you to access and use our website and services (this includes, for example, registering your account, providing you with services that you have requested, and providing you with access to the Landcarer Platform where you have registered to use that Platform);
- to administer and analyse our client base (including website usage behaviour and history) in order to improve our website and the quality, variety, and availability of services offered/provided;
- to provide products and services to our customers (which may be individuals, government agencies, corporate entities, Landcare groups and other entities), including by conducting analytics on data that may contain your personal information to create aggregated and anonymised data products for our customers;
- to send you alerts, service, support and administrative messages, reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and information requested by you;
- to send you newsletters and marketing and promotional messages and other information that may be of interest to you, including information sent by, or on behalf of, our carefully selected partners;
- to administer surveys, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by us or our partners;
- to comply with our legal obligations, resolve any disputes that we may have with any of our users, and enforce our agreements with third parties;
- to respond to enquiries you have submitted via an online form;
- to consider your employment application; and
- to comply with the law.
Using your personal information for direct marketing
We, and/or our carefully selected partners, may send you direct marketing communications and information about our services. This may take the form of emails, SMS, mail or other forms of communication, in accordance with the Spam Act and the Privacy Act. You may opt-out of receiving marketing materials from us by contacting us using the details set out below or by using the opt-out facilities provided (e.g. an unsubscribe link).
How we disclose your personal information
- legal firms, accounting firms, auditors, contractors, consultants, other professional advisers, dealers and agents;
- our employees and related entities;
- third party suppliers and service providers (including providers for the operation of our websites and/or our business or in connection with providing our services to you);
- specific third parties authorised by you to receive information held by us; and/or
- other persons, including government agencies, regulatory bodies and law enforcement agencies, or as required, authorised or permitted by law.
Disclosure of personal information outside Australia
We do not routinely disclose personal information outside of Australia.
How we secure your data
We may hold your personal information in either electronic or hard copy form. We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss, as well as unauthorised access, modification or disclosure and we use a number of physical, administrative, personnel and technical measures to protect your personal information. For example, we use safe protocols for communication and transferring data (such as HTTPS) and monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks.
In the event of a data breach, we will notify you and the relevant authorities as required by law.
If you have an account with us, you must keep your username and password secret.
We do not intend to collect or knowingly collect information from children.
Cookies and other technologies we use
A cookie is a tiny text file stored on your computer. Cookies store information that is used to help make sites work. Only we can access the cookies created by our website. You can control your cookies at the browser level. Choosing to disable cookies may hinder your use of certain functions.
- Necessary cookies – these cookies are required for you to be able to use some important features on our website, such as logging in. These cookies don’t collect any personal information.
- Functionality cookies – these cookies provide functionality that makes using our service more convenient and makes providing more personalised features possible. For example, they might remember your name and email in comment forms so you don’t have to re-enter this information next time when commenting.
- Analytics cookies – these cookies are used to track the use and performance of our website and services.
- Advertising cookies – these cookies are used to deliver advertisements that are relevant to you and to your interests. In addition, they are used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement. They are usually placed to the website by advertising networks with the website operator’s permission. These cookies remember that you have visited a website and this information is shared with other organisations such as advertisers. Often targeting or advertising cookies will be linked to site functionality provided by the other organisation.
You can remove cookies stored in your computer via your browser settings. Alternatively, you can control some third party cookies by using a privacy enhancement platform such as optout.aboutads.info or youronlinechoices.com. For more information about cookies, visit allaboutcookies.org.
Accessing or correcting your personal information
You can access the personal information we hold about you by contacting us using the information below. Sometimes, we may not be able to provide you with access to all of your personal information and, where this is the case, we will tell you why. We may also need to verify your identity when you request your personal information.
If you think that any personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, please contact us and we will take reasonable steps to ensure that it is corrected.
Making a complaint
If you think we have breached the Privacy Act, or you wish to make a complaint about the way we have handled your personal information, you can contact us using the details set out below. Please include your name, email address and/or telephone number and clearly describe your complaint. We will acknowledge your complaint and respond to you regarding your complaint within a reasonable period of time. If you think that we have failed to resolve the complaint satisfactorily, we will provide you with information about the further steps you can take.
Digital Communications Specialist, Landcare Australia
Level 3, 6 Help Street, Chatswood, NSW 2067
PO Box 5666, West Chatswood NSW 1515
+61 2 94121040